Quirky tips and hurricane 'hacks'
As you prepare for the storm, we have a few hurricane hacks that might help:
- Take pictures of your important documents and email them to yourself. You can also put them and other valuables inside the dishwasher. It's waterproof when you close the door.
- You can put documents, photos and heirlooms in plastic bins and set them somewhere high.
- Put clothing in a large ziplock bag. That way you know they'll be dry even if other stuff is wet.
- Even with good windows and shutters, water can seep through. Spread towels along your windows to help soak it up.
- Fill your freezer with ice to help keep it cold.
- Your washing machine can be used as a cooler.
- To find out if you lost power, fill a cup with ice and put a coin on top. If it's on the bottom, you know your food might be bad.
- Along with your battery operated devices, use ones with a crank or that are solar powered.
- Pet owners are can fill a baby pool with sod and grass and putting it inside your home to provide an indoor restroom for your dog.