2019 First Warning Weather Kidcaster Contest
Do you have a child who is enrolled in the 1st - 5th grade and aspires to be a meteorologist?
We are welcoming children in the 1st through 5th to come to the station to be our First Warning Weather Kidcaster for a day.
Each Wednesday, starting January 23, a child will be chosen to come to WPDE and help our First Warning Weather team present the weather during our 5 p.m. newscast.
To enter, please have a parent or guardian submit the child's name, address, phone number, birthday, current grade, and school they are attending to EdsKidcaster@wpde.com. Also, don't forget to tell us why your child would like to be a kidcaster.
We look forward to seeing all the entries and Good Luck!
WPDE / ED’S KIDCASTER
OFFICIAL CONTEST RULES
Contest: WPDE / Ed’s Kidcaster
Station: Sinclair Communications, LLC dba WPDE
Station Address: WPDE, 10 University Boulevard, Conway, SC 29526
Contest Area: South Carolina Counties: Horry, Florence, Marion, and Dillon.
Sponsor: A & I Fire and Water Restoration
Prize Providers: WPDE and A & I Fire and Water Restoration
Age of Eligibility: Entrant must be a child currently enrolled in the 1st through 5th grade at a public or private school within the Contest Area. Homeschoolers within the Contest Area are eligible.
Contest Period: January 15, 2019 to December 19, 2019
Excluding April 2, 2019 to April 6, 2019; May 28, 2019 to June 8, 2019; July 2, 2019 to July 6, 2019; September 3, 2019 to September 7, 2019; November 26, 2019 to November 30, 2019; and December 24, 2019 to December 31, 2019.
Entries Due: 5:00 PM ET each Tuesday during the contest period.
Entry is limited to one per contestant per IP address per week.
Remaining valid entries will carry over to the next selection date.
Entry Material Requirements: One (1) hand printed or typed essay (no more than 250 words) describing why you want to be a Kidcaster.
Judging Criteria: Creativity (33.33%), neatness (33.33%) and weather-related content (33.33%).
Winner Selection Dates: January 23, 30, 2019; February 6, 13, 20, 27, 2019; March 6, 13, 20, 27, 2019; April 10, 17, 24, 2019; May 1, 8, 15, 22, 2019; June 23, 19, 26, 2019; July 10, 17, 24, 31, 2019; August 7, 14, 21, 28, 2019; September 11, 18, 25, 2019; October 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, 2019; November 6, 13, 20, 2019; and December 4, 11, 18, 2019.
Number of Winners on each Winner Selection Date: One (1)
Total Number of Winners: Forty-Three (43)
Prizes and Values: Each winner will be provided the opportunity to be a Kidcaster and participate in giving the weather forecast for the 5:00 PM ET newscast on the following Wednesday after they are chosen as the winner. The child will also receive a Station tour. Due to the nature of the prizes, a value for the feature and tour cannot be determined. Station reserves the right to reschedule the air date and time. The Entrant will be required to sign an appearance release on behalf of his or her child in order for the child to participate as a Kidcaster prior to the broadcast. The child, not the Entrant, will also receive one (1) Kidcaster plaque for participating and one (1) Kidcaster t-shirt. Total approximate retail value of prize is $15.
Station’s Website: www.wpde.com
Station’s Website Terms and Conditions: http://wpde.com/station/terms
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. This contest is subject to all applicable laws and regulations and is void where prohibited.
Odds of winning depend on the number of valid entries received.
All capitalized terms shall have the meanings set forth above.
How to Enter
To enter email our chief meteorologist Ed Piotrowski at EdsKidcaster@wpde.com with the following:
-Entrant’s name, address, telephone number, birthdate, grade and name of the school child attends and
-One (1) hand printed or typed essay (no more than 250 words) describing why you would like to be a Kidcaster.
No mechanically reproduced or completed entries will be accepted.
Judging of Entries
1. Each entry will be judged and scored by a panel of judges comprised of Station personnel based on the Judging Criteria.
2. On each Winner Selection Date, the judges will determine the Total Number of Winners with the highest score based on the criteria set forth above. Remaining valid entries willcarry over to the next selection date.
3. As a condition of winning, the parent or legal guardian of winner must sign an appearance release on behalf of his or her child, which must be returned to the Station prior to the weather broadcast in which winner will participate. Failure to do so will result in disqualification and forfeiture of prize.
4. Station reserves the right to reduce the Total Number of Winners or not select a Winner in the event that an insufficient number of valid entries are received for judging.
1. To be eligible to participate in the Contest, entrants must be U.S. residents who are at least the Age of Eligibility, and reside in the Contest Area.
2. Employees of Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc., Sinclair Television Group, Inc., Station (collectively, the “Company”), Sponsor(s), Prize Provider(s), contest software providers, social media platforms, each of their affiliated companies, advertising and promotion agencies, any and all local television broadcast and cable stations, local radio and other media companies, and the immediate family members of each are ineligible. The term “immediate family” includes spouses, domestic partners, grandparents, parents, siblings, children, grandchildren, and any other relatives who reside in the same household with employee.
Contest Terms and Conditions
1. Station is not responsible for lost, late, garbled, or misdirected entries, printing errors, server unavailability, computer or any other electronic malfunction. All entries received that are duplicate, mutilated, tampered with, incorrect, illegible, or from ineligible entrants will be void. All entries become the property of the Company and will not be acknowledged or returned.
2. Station cannot be held liable for any lost or stolen entries, prizes or contest information. Station is not responsible for any technological malfunction, or human error relating to the Contest.
3. By entering, entrants represent and warrant (i) that he or she solely created and owns the entry materials submitted, (ii) the entry materials do not violate the rights of any third parties, (iii) the entry materials comply with all of requirements of the Entry Material Requirements and (iv) he/she agrees to the terms and conditions located at the Station’s Website Terms and Conditions.
4. Prizes are provided “as is” without any express or implied warranty of any kind including warranties of merchantability, non-infringement or intellectual property, or fitness for any particular purpose. Prizes are subject to the Sponsor(s) and/or Prize Provider(s) standard terms and conditions, and expiration dates. For any ticket related prize, Station, Sponsor(s) and Prize Provider(s) are not responsible if any event or performance is cancelled or postponed.
5. Each winner will be notified by email or phone. Before claiming any prize, each winner, or parent or legal guardian of winner, must provide his/her correct name, address and telephone number to Station at the time of notification. Each winner’s parent or legal guardian must sign and return an appearance release on behalf of their child, which must be received prior to the weather broadcast in which winner will participate. Each winner, or parent or legal guardian of winner, must also sign an affidavit of eligibility on behalf of the winner and show picture identification. Station reserves the right to examine additional identification and may choose to accept or deny awarding any prize based on the identification presented.
6. If a winner cannot be notified within two (2) days, or does not timely sign and return the appearance release on behalf of his or her child and the release and affidavit of eligibility, then the prize will be forfeited, and time permitting, the prize will be awarded to an alternate winner with the next highest score, as determined by the judges in their sole and absolute discretion. If time does not permit for an alternate winner to be determined, then the prize will be forfeited, and the prize will remain the property of the Station.
7. There will be no substitutions or cash alternatives for any prize except at the sole discretion of Station. The Station has the right to substitute a prize of similar value. No sale, transfer or assignment of any prize is allowed.
8. Each winner is responsible for paying all local, county, state and federal taxes on prizes based on the estimated retail value of the prizes as set forth in these rules. Each winner must sign a W-9 form.
9. Entrants are eligible to win only one (1) prize within any ninety (90) day period, regardless of the number of contests entered.
10. The Company is not liable if the provider of any part of a prize fails to satisfy its obligations to furnish its portion of the prize.
11. The Company, Sponsor(s), and Prize Provider(s) accept no responsibility or liability in connection with any injuries, losses or damages of any kind directly or indirectly caused by or resulting from the acceptance, possession or use of any prize awarded in the Contest. By entering, entrants agree to release the Company, Sponsor(s), Prize Provider(s), contest software providers, and each of their respective parent, affiliates, officers, directors, employees and agents, from any and all claims, loss, damage or injury as a result of or incident to his/her participation in the Contest or his/her use of the prize. Entrants further acknowledge and agree that if a winner, the Company has the right to publicize entrant’s name, character, likeness, photograph, voice and the fact that entrant is a winner of the Contest for promotional purposes, without financial remuneration.
12. Complete Official Rules for the Contest are available Monday through Friday during normal business hours at the Station and on the Station’s Website. For a list of prize winners, send a separate, self-addressed, stamped envelope to the Station at the Station Address within thirty (30) days of the last day of the Contest Period.
13. The Station has the right to disqualify any entrant it determines has not complied with the Contest Rules. All decisions by the Station shall be final and binding relating to this contest, including the interpretation of the Contest Rules. Station reserves the right to make rules and contest changes and change the contest dates. Station reserves the right to cancel/terminate, modify or suspend the Contest if in Station’s sole determination it believes that the integrity of the Contest has been, or could be, compromised or that the Contest is not capable of running as planned or fairly, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or force majeure or any other causes beyond the Station’s control.