Whip Up Your Weekend: Chef Geoff's Souper Soup
Conway, S.C. (WPDE) —
Looking to warm up this winter? Try Chef Geoff's Cheesy French Tomato Soup.
- 1 1/2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 onion sliced thin
- 1 Garlic clove, minced
- 1 carrot fine diced
- 1 celery stalk fine diced
- 24 oz. crushed tomatoes
- 3 c. vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 c. heavy cream
- 4 slices of French baguette lightly toasted
- 1 1/2 cups grated Gruyere cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Meanwhile, melt tablespoon butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, carrots, and celery and cook until tender and onions turn a light tan in color, 4 to 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, and stock Bring to a boil and simmer 15 minutes. Puree soup using an immersion blender. Stir in cream. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Place four ovenproof soup bowls or ramekins onto a sheet pan. Divide soup among bowls and top each with 2 croutons and 1/2 cup cheese. Cook until cheese is melted and bubbling, about 5 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.