Some upset Hartsville has applied for permit to sell booze at waterpark

(Plans for Neptune Island from the City of Hartsville)

Some people are pretty upset the City of Hartsville has applied to the S.C. Department of Revenue to serve alcohol at its waterpark, saying they are concerned about the safety of children around people drinking booze.

The city is expanding the current splash park to attract more visitors. The new $ 8 million park is called "Neptune Island" and it's set to open in the Summer of 2018.

Several people said they're appalled the city would even think to serve alcohol at a park designed for children.

"I don't think so. Especially where our little kids are playing on the swings, and different things. Here, you get somebody that's inebriated and you know you got these pedophiles out here and different things. No I don't agree with it," said V. Green.

Related: Hartsville looking to spend millions to expand water park

"Parents, if they gonna sit there and drink alcohol, while the youngins' playing in the water and what have you, then they're not going to be watching the kids like they should," said Patsy Price.

Hartsville City Marketing and Events Coordinator Jordan Braddock released the following statement on behalf of the city:

The City of Hartsville has applied for a permit from the South Carolina Department of Revenue to serve alcoholic beverages at the City’s Neptune Island Waterpark, which is scheduled to open in summer 2018. Other than applying for the permit, no official action has been taken by City Council regarding the sale of alcoholic beverages at the park at this time. Should City Council choose to move forward with the sale of alcoholic beverages at the waterpark, proper measures will be implemented to comply with the laws of the State of South Carolina.

Related: City of Hartsville names waterpark, hires manager

Some have questioned if it is even legal to sell alcohol at a waterpark.

S.C. Department of Revenue (SCDOR) Public Information Officer Bonnie Swingle issued the following statement as to what is determined for a business to serve alcohol on its premises:

There are a lot of considerations that go into whether or not a place can serve alcohol. The applicant would need to meet various qualifications and requirements. SLED would also do an inspection at the location and would submit a report back to SCDOR for review.

City officials said other waterparks, including Carowinds, sell alcohol on the promises.

Carowinds' website says, "You must be 21 years of age or older to purchase, possess or consume alcoholic beverages. Alcoholic beverages must be consumed within designated areas. Alcohol sales will end one hour prior to the scheduled park closing time."

We will let you know when SCDOR makes a decision on whether a permit is granted to Hartsville to sell alcohol at its waterpark.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off