Murder charges dismissed against Tammy and Sidney Moorer in Heather Elvis case

Tammy Moorer, 41, and Sidney Moorer, 38, of Myrtle Beach, who had been charged in connection with the death and disappearance of Heather Elvis.

The charges of murder have been dismissed against Tammy Moorer and Sidney Moorer in the Heather Elvis case, according to court paperwork filed March 10.

An obstruction of justice charge has also been dismissed for Tammy Moorer and two charges of indecent exposure have also been dismissed against both.

The kidnapping charge is still in place for Tammy and Sidney Moorer, according to the Horry County Public Index. Sidney Moorer also still faces obstruction of justice charges, according to the Horry County Public Index.

Tammy Moorer and Sidney Moorer were charged in the death of Heather Elvis, a 20-year-old Socastee woman who was first reported missing in December of 2013.

Tammy and Sidney Moorer were charged in connection with her death and disappearance in February of 2014.

On January 30 of 2015 Tammy Moorer was released from jail on bond. On February 2 of 2015 Sidney Moorer was released from jail on bond.

Both Moorer's were granted permission to live in Florida while on bond after a September of 2015 court hearing.

We spoke with Heather Elvis's mother, Debbie Elvis, who said the family is not ready to make a statement because a gag order exists in the case.

They ask that everyone keep Heather's name in the spotlight and say they still have hope, since her body has not been found.

They hope the court case will continue to move forward and that people will continue to search for her.

15th Circuit Solicitor Jimmy Richardson said he is unable to comment because of the gag order.

Kirk Truslow, attorney for Sidney Moorer, said that he is ready to go to court for motions starting on June 13 and for trial on June 20.

"Nothing surprises me with this procedure part of this case and how it proceeded," he said. "I am working as hard as I was before to defend him."

Greg McCollum, attorney for Tammy Moorer, said her case has not been set for a trial date, but they are ready if and when that date is chosen.

"Anytime charges are dismissed, we are happy with that," he said. "The case has been going on for two years ....and we are looking forward to trying to resolve the case. If and when the case is tried, we will be ready to go to court."

McCollum said that Tammy Moorer is ready for the case to end.

"She's obviously been going through this for some period of time and is ready for this to end," he said. "And she said through me all along that she was ready to go to court and is anxious to go to court and get this resolved," he said.

He added, "since the gag order is still in effect because of the kidnapping charge and the medicaid fraud charged, I think I'm limited on what I can say."

We will continue to post more information as it comes in to the newsroom.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off