Nichols man tried and convicted on drugs and weapons charges; still wanted by police
Conway, S.C. (WPDE) —
A Nichols man was convicted on Tuesday after being tried in absentia on his third-offense trafficking drugs, a drug possession charge and two gun-related charges, according to a news release from Fifteenth Circuit Solicitor Jimmy Richardson.
James Lamont Arthur, 35, failed to show up to court this week for his trial and had previously failed to appear for trial in October, according to Mary-Ellen Walter who, along with Leigh Andrew, prosecuted the case for the 15th Circuit Solicitor’s Office.
But his failure to appear did not stop his trial and a jury convicted him on all charges, the release said.
Arthur was found guilty of third-offense trafficking cocaine base more than 10 grams, but less than 28 grams; possession of a schedule one to five drug – amphetamines or Adderall; unlawful possession of a pistol; and unlawful carrying of a pistol, Walter said.
Judge Steven H. John presided over the case and sealed Arthur’s sentence until he is found and returned to court for sentencing. Once Arthur is found, his sentence will be unsealed and imposed.
Arthur faces up between 25 and 30 years on the third-offense trafficking drugs charge; up to six months for the drug possession charge; up to five years on the gun possession charge; and not more than a year in jail on the unlawful carrying a pistol charge, Walter said.
Officers with the Horry County Police Department arrested Arthur on May 12, 2016, on the charges, Walter said in the release.
Anyone with information regarding Arthur’s whereabouts should call their local law enforcement agency.