NORTH SANTEE, SC (WCIV) — A Georgetown County man is thankful for firefighters quickly responding and saving his home from potentially catastrophic damage, after his generator exploded early Thursday morning during Hurricane Dorian.
Larry Bland, who lives in North Santee, says he lost power around 3 a.m. Thursday, so he started his generator outside his home to restore electricity.
Soon after, Bland says he saw a spark and a loud sound. When he ran outside, Bland says flames were spreading across the outside of his house and under his carport.
The back windshield of one of Bland's cars was blown out by the explosion, and suffered flame damage, as well.
Firefighters quickly responded and were able to put out the fire before it caused extensive damage, said Bland, who expressed heartfelt gratitude to the first responders.
Bland spoke to ABC News 4's Scott Eisberg about the incident. See more from their interview in the video above.