Coastal hits home stretch of spring drills
Sun, 08 Apr 2012 02:34:37 GMT —
Coastal Carolina held a situational scrimmage to wrap up a Saturday afternoon practice on the CCU practice fields. The Chanticleers will enter the final week of spring drills culminating in the spring game on Saturday at 1pm at Brooks Stadium. First year head coach Joe Moglia said he was pleased with the overall progress of the team during the first ten practices.
"I thought we saw pretty good things throughout the entire practice," Moglia said after the practice. "I think anytime you get an entire new staff, brand new offense, and defense, and kicking game - we have about 25-30 guys who have not played at Coastal before. I think it's always difficult to adjust to that. I think today was only our 10th practice, so we have a long ways to go, but I was pleased with the progress we had today."
Here are the key plays of the scrimmage courtesy of GoCCUSports.com:
- Senior running back Jeremy Height broke through the line for a 20-yard gain on the second play.
- Quarterback Aramis Hillary connected on a seven-yard strike to Akeem Wesley to set up 1st and goal at the nine.
- After two rushing plays that gained three yards, senior corner Dontavious Johnson broke up a pass intended for Shaquille Lindsey, forcing a Grant Clayton field goal.
- Junior corner Tyler McCarthy made a nice play to break up an Alex Ross pass.
- On the final offensive play of the scrimmage, sophomore Cody Craig found Niccolo Mastromatteo on a swing pass toward the far sideline. Mastromatteo proceeded to make several defenders miss and scamper down the sideline for a 40-yard score. Alex Catron split the uprights on the PAT.