The podium for the 2011 WPDE Mister and Miss Hoop Zone features seven athletes from across the Pee Dee and Grand Strand. Voting for WPDE Mister and Miss Hoop Zone is done by 15 area coaches plus the WPDE Sports team. The 11th annual WPDE Hoop Zone banquet is this Thursday night in Myrtle Beach and the WPDE Hoop Zone banquet special airs Sunday at 12:30 pm.
2011 WPDE Miss Hoop Zone Finalists
SADE ELI, TIMMONSVILLE
* first Whirlwind in any sport to reach the WPDE podium
Timmonsville freshman Sade' (Shaw-Day) Eli is one of the state's top shooting guards. You can count on Eli for nearly 21 points a game. And she's an unselfish player -- dropping five dimes a night. At 5-foot-9 -- Eli is not afraid to crash the glass, hauling down 8 boards a night. She's equally tough on defense making three steals a game. Eli has already received letters of interest from both North Carolina and East Carolina. But they'll have to wait three more years for this young super talent.
JAZZ GREEN, DARLINGTON
* four time WPDE All-Hoop Zone Selection (2008, 09, 10, 11)
* three time WPDE Miss Hoop Zone Finalist (2009, 10, 11)
Darlington's Jazz Green has made the team for a third straight season. This senior was a Miss Hoop Zone Finalist last year and was among the leading scorers in the Pee Dee averaging 21 points a game with six assists. But this young lady can also hit the glass pulling down seven rebounds a game. She's also an incredible defender with nearly six steals every time she laces up her shoes. Green made all-state and will play in the North Carolina-South Carolina All-Star game. She has signed to play at the College of Charleston this fall.
JASMINE PHILLIPS, HARTSVILLE
* three time WPDE All-Hoop Zone Selection (2009, 10, 11)
* three time WPDE Miss Hoop Zone Finalist (2009, 10, 11)
Hartsville senior Jasmine Phillips is back on the Miss Hoop Zone podium. Phillips is a McDonald's All-American nominee. Name it, she's on it. All-Region, All-State and was named Class 3A player of the year in South Carolina. The big time division one talent who averaged nearly 22 points a game with nearly 13 rebounds. She has scored more than 2-thousand career points for the Red Foxes. But Phillips does not stop there. On defense she averaged nearly 3 blocks and over five steals a game for head coach Pat Hewitt. Phillips has been picked to play in the Carolinas Classic All-Star game.
KHADIJAH SESSIONS, MYRTLE BEACH
* four time WPDE All Hoop Zone selection (2008,09,10,11)
* two time WPDE Miss Hoop Zone (2010, 2011)
* Myrtle Beach High has won three Zoneman Trophies, two Mr. Hoop Zone Trophies, four Miss Hoop Zone Trophies
Myrtle Beach High's girls were led by 2-time Miss Hoop Zone Khadijah Sessions. This 5-foot-7 Seahawks junior had another stellar campaign averaging 19 points with seven assists a game. Sessions does it with excellence on both ends of the floor as evidenced by her eye-popping six steals a game. This AAU star is being recruited by nearly every major college in the Southeast.
2011 WPDE MISTER HOOP ZONE FINALISTS
DARNELL COLEMAN, MULLINS
* Coleman becomes 4th Auctioneer to reach the Mister Hoop Zone podium (Jarod Gerald, Eric Smith two times)
Darnell Coelman had a breakout season for the Auctioneers. The 6-foot-3 sharpshooter led the team in scoring with more than 16 points and two steals a game. Coleman has the ability to excel in the half court game but he's at his best playing pressure defense and running the Auctioneers high paced offensive attack.
SAMMIE DAVIS, DARLINGTON
* 2nd Falcon boy to reach the podium (Jordan Scott won 2009 WPDE Mr. Hoop Zone)Sammie Davis, Junior will forever be remembered and imitated as one of the great performers in Las Vegas. The Darlington Falcons have a Sammie Davis of their own and he's quite a performer.Davis was the Falcons leading scorer. This 6-foot 3 forward is an all-state selection. He averaged more than 15 points a game his senior season. Davis is a phenominal low post player with a solid mid-range jumper. He was good for nearly 7 rebounds a night. Davis is a big reason why Darlington won the Class 3A Region 6 Championship with his pressure defense and ability to run the floor and score in transition.
JUSTIN KELLY, WILSON
* 7th Wilson Tiger to reach the podium (Carlos Powell, Domique Henry, Sam Muldrow 2X, Dominique Lacy, Shahmel Brackett)
Wilson senior guard Justin Kelly made all-state and was the Region 8 Class 3A player of the year. Kelly was the Tigers "table setter" averaging 14 points a game with six rebounds. This 6-foot-4 guard shot nearly 50 percent from the field this season. Kelly is a versatile talent with the ability to play every position on the floor. He has great penetrating ability and a solid stroke from beyond the arc while helping the Tigers to an impressive 23-4 record.Previous Mister and Miss Hoop Zone winners Mr. Hoop Zone 2001 - Raymond Felton, Latta 2002 - Raymond Felton, Latta (Denver Nuggets) 2003 - Ramon Sessions, Myrtle Beach 2004 - Ramon Sessions, Myrtle Beach (Cleveland Cavaliers) 2005 - Cassan Breeden, Marlboro County (Florida State, College of Charleston) 2006 - Bryant Julious, Hemingway (Francis Marion) 2007 - Cliff Matthews, Cheraw (South Carolina - football) 2008 - Kinard Gadsden-Gilliard, Georgetown 2009 - Eric Smith, Mullins (South Carolina) 2010 - Jordan Scott, Darlington (College of Charleston) Miss Hoop Zone 2001 - Patrice Holmes, Lee Central (Middle Tennessee State) 2002 - LaTangela Atkinson, Lee Central (WNBA) 2003 - Sasha Reaves, Mullins (NC State) 2004 - Christina Dewitt, North Myrtle Beach 2005 - Christina Dewitt, North Myrtle Beach (UNC) 2006 - Tomay Johnson, Andrews 2007 - Ashley Clarke, Myrtle Beach 2008 - Ashley Clarke, Myrtle Beach (East Carolina) 2009 - Khadijah Sessions, Myrtle Beach 2010 - Khadijah Sessions, Myrtle Beach