Three firefighters collapsed from apparent heat exhaustion Tuesday afternoon while battling a house fire on Odom Lane in Blenheim in Marlboro County, according to Lt. Dustin Sheppard with Blenheim Rural Fire Department.
Sheppard said the firemen came out of the burning home to take a break and that's when they collapsed, one by one.
He said they were immediately taken to the hospital . The firefighters were later released after being tested for heat exhaustion. They got too hot and were dehydrated, according to officials.
Two of the firefighters work with Blenheim Rural Fire Station and the third with Clio Rural Fire Department.
He said a call came into 911 just before 3 p.m. Tuesday about the fire.
Sheppard added the home was a total loss.
At this time, they know the fire started at the back of the home, but Sheppard said they aren't sure what caused it.