MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Home in Lake City destroyed, puppy rescued after space heater fire

A space heater caused a fire Tuesday that badly damaged a two story home on Williamsburg Avenue in Lake City. (Submitted photo)

A space heater caused a fire Tuesday that badly damaged a two story home on Williamsburg Avenue in Lake City, according to Lake City Fire Chief Randy Driggers.

Driggers said firefighters were able to save a puppy that was trapped in the home at the time of the fire.

He added the massive flames were coming from the back of the house.

The home suffered extensive fire, smoke, and water damage, according to Driggers.

No one was home at the time of the fire.

Space heaters cause about one-third of all winter house fires and 80 percent of all winter heating fire deaths, according the National Fire Protection Association.

Driggers said you need to be overly cautious when using space heaters.

He added you need to make sure space heaters aren't too close to things that can burn, such as upholstered furniture, clothing, mattress, or bedding.

He advised keeping children and pets away from the heaters.

Officials said you need to turn heaters off when you go to bed or leave the room and buy portable space heaters with an automatic shut off so if they’re tipped over they will shut off.

Trending

LOADING