MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

ABC15 Investigates: Inconsistencies in Ocean Boulevard shooting suspect's arrest history

A shooting injured seven on Ocean Boulevard and 5th Avenue on June 18. (WPDE file image)

Five people are in custody in connection with a shooting on Ocean Boulevard and 5th Avenue on June 18, according to Lt. Joey Crosby, with Myrtle Beach police.

Raekwon Tariq Graham, 18, of Albemarle, N.C., was arrested Thursday night and has been charged with six counts of attempted murder, according to police.

Friday afternoon, a judge denied bond for him on those charges based on his criminal history and his flight risk.

When asked if he had anything to say before the judge ruled on his bond, Graham said he was attending college in North Carolina and wanted to try to finish the program.

According to the judge, in March of last year Graham was charged with assault with intent to commit criminal sexual conduct 1st degree, burglary 1st degree, assault and battery 1st degree, malicious injury to personal property. He said those charges came out of Richland County.

But, a search for "Raekwon Tariq Graham" in online court records did not turn up any such charges for him out of any county in South Carolina.

Cassandra Miller said her son Raekwon Graham does not have a criminal record.

Miller said she has tried to reach out to multiple agencies to get answers about the charges but hasn’t been able to get a response.

She said last year he would have been a juvenile and that she would know about the charges.

However, a man with a similar name and similar birthday is currently in custody at the Richland County Detention Center on those same charges.

We have reached out to numerous officials about this inconsistency and are working to get answers.

Earlier this week, Derias J'Shawn Little, 17, of North Carolina, was charged with carjacking, possession of a deadly weapon, and seven counts of attempted murder.

Three other men, Keshawn Steele, Tyron Steele and Jarvez Graham, were taken into custody in North Carolina and are awaiting extradition back to South Carolina where they will be served with arrest warrants, Crosby said.

All of this comes after, at around 12:25 a.m. on June 18, police were called to a large group of disorderly subjects on Ocean Boulevard.

RELATED: Drugs, weapons, stolen puppies: The man behind the Ocean Blvd. shooting that went viral

When officers got there, shots were fired and multiple people were hit. The incident was captured on Facebook Live by a witness and was also captured on surveillance video, according to arrest warrants for Graham.

Police found that a large group of people were walking south on Ocean Boulevard approaching 4th Avenue North when Graham and his two co-defendants, Little and a third person, got out of a car.

During the incident, Graham climbed up on the car and began to interact with the crowd distracting one of the victims while Little walked behind the group, the warrants state.

As the crowd passed the car, Little snuck up behind the victim and struck him in the head, according to the warrants. At that point, the victim attempted to run, but was chased and attacked by Little, Graham and a third person, according to the affidavit.

The victim got away, at which point police say Little got out a gun and went toward the crowd and one of the victims.

Little started to fire into the crowd and struck 6 victims.

RELATED: Myrtle Beach police: One weekend shooting gang related, one a drug deal gone bad

An armed security guard returned fire and Little was hit. Little then shot at the security guard, who was grazed by the bullets, according to the affidavit.

Little then walked west on 4th Avenue North, showed his gun to the driver of a Toyota, and carjacked the vehicle, the affidavit states.

Trending