Road to recovery for one Conway teen
Wed, 28 Aug 2013 03:51:07 GMT —
A Conway family learned on Tuesday that their son, who was severely injured when he was hit by a truck in July, would be accepted into a North Carolina rehabilitation facility.
Wesley Baker, 17, will be admitted to Levine Children's Hospital in Charlotte as soon as he is discharged from an area hospital and once space becomes available.
"It was like God heard our prayers. That we had been praying for, for a long time, because it has been a fight," Wesley's mother Debbie told us.
The road to get Wesley into the facility has been a bumpy one for the Baker family.
Debbie, told WPDE NewsChannel 15 that they tried to get him into five different centers, located up and down the East Coast, unsuccessfully. She said one of the primary reasons for him being denied by the facilities was his inability to respond to verbal commands, such as moving his arms and legs when a doctor asked him to.
The Baker family used Facebook to reach out to the more than 8,000 followers on their "Wesley Baker Prayer Chain Page". Through Facebook posts, the family asked followers to send letters and share Wesley's story with political leaders across the state, as well as reach out to personalities from nationally-recognized shows like Good Morning America.
Despite the struggles he has gone through, his family said Wesley, a Conway High School football player, has made major progress in his recovery.
"At first, the first week, he wouldn't move at all and now he's non-stop moving everywhere. Opens his eyes, go in there and talk to him and he'll open his eyes, sling his arms up in the air," said Katelyn Baker, Wesley's sister.
On July 5, Wesley was crossing Highway 701 North when a large truck hit him. He lost his right leg and sustained several internal injuries.