Probe begins into carbon monoxide leak at NY mall
Sun, 23 Feb 2014 10:13:27 GMT —
Officials investigating a carbon monoxide leak at a New York mall are concentrating on the heating system of a restaurant following the death of the eatery's 55-year-old manager and more than two dozen others being sent to hospitals.
Suffolk County police have identified the man who died Saturday as Steven Nelson. He's the manager at the Legal Sea Foods restaurant at the Walt Whitman Shops in Huntington Station on Long Island. Officials say an autopsy will to determine the cause of death.
Authorities say at least 27 others were taken to five area hospitals. WABC-TV has reported that all but a handful of the patients had been treated and released.
Police responding to a call about a woman who had fallen and hit her head at the restaurant started to feel lightheaded and nauseated and suspected a carbon monoxide leak.
Police say the incident seems to have been confined to the basement of the restaurant and that the leak appeared to originate with the heating system.