The Sandy Hook Elementary shooting was senseless in every way imaginable, but out of each horror, we often see human spirit that overshadows any evil.
When it became known that people were performing 26 random acts of kindness in honor of the 26 Sandy Hook victims, NewsChannel 15 decided to share the effort with our community.
With only 30 minutes of preparation, four hours of footwork and nearly $80, our task was complete.
The 26 Acts:
1. Give flowers to a stranger
2. Place a dollar bill on a vending machine to buy someone a drink
3. Buy coffee for someone
4. Give someone a break at work
5. Sing Christmas Carols
6. Help a kid learn how to ride a bike
7. Give someone a random Christmas card
8. Pay for someone's gas
9. Help someone with a gift idea
10. Pay for someone's meal behind you at the drive thru
11. Leave $5 on a random person's car
12. Help someone with their groceries
13. Give a meal to the needy
14. Make a donation to charity
15. Walk someone's dog
16. Pass out candy canes to strangers
17. Do a chore for someone
18. Write a note to a troop overseas
19. Bring lunch to firefighters
20. Hold the door open for someone
21. Pick up something that someone has dropped by mistake
22. Give a random person a hug
23. Thank a veteran
24. Pay off someone's layaway
25. Deliver donated toys to needy children
26. Give donuts to police officers
During this mission, we started to see acts of kindness that people were doing for us - just as random but without the cameras.
Those are the true heroes we all should aspire to be.