NC crews work to recover 2 children under dirt
Mon, 08 Apr 2013 10:38:18 GMT —
DENVER, N.C. (AP) - Authorities are still searching for the bodies of two children who were trapped when dirt fell on them while playing in a hole at a home construction site near Charlotte.
Lincoln County Emergency Management officials say a father of one of the children called 911 Sunday afternoon. The Charlotte Observer reported that Jordan Caldwell told operators he saw the dirt collapse on the 6-year-old girl and 7-year-old boy.
Officials say crews were on the scene within minutes but couldn't get to the children, who were trapped about 20 feet below a new home that was under construction.
Neighbors told the newspaper a man building the home had been digging with a backhoe earlier in the day.
Authorities said late Sunday they didn't expect to find the children alive.