MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Second man charged with murder in 2016 double homicide in Myrtle Beach

Aliga Campbell (MBPD)

Myrtle Beach police have arrested a second man on murder charges in connection with a 2016 double homicide in Myrtle Beach.

According to a news release and video on the Myrtle Beach Police Department Facebook page, on July 23, 2016, police launched an investigation into a double homicide that happened on Warren Street.

Wednesday, Sept. 13, 2017, investigators learned that a suspect in the incident was in the area of White Street in Myrtle Beach.

Police said, since the crime was violent offender, a SWAT team was activated to catch the suspect but, the suspect ultimately turned himself over to authorities. Police said he was arrested without incident.

On Thursday, police identified that suspect as Aliga Dasun Campbell, 21, of Myrtle Beach.

According to the Myrtle Beach Police website, Campbell now faces charges for possession of a weapon during a violent crime.

The Horry County Public Index shows that Campbell also has two pending charges for murder in the Myrtle Beach Municipal Court.

Campbell's South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) arrest record shows that he was previously convicted of unlawful carrying of a weapon and possession of a schedule I/schedule II substance in 2016.

He was convicted of both charges and sentenced to one year in jail or a $1,000 fine each.

Both sentences were suspended to 1 year probation on June 15, 2017.

One other man was previously arrested on July 25, 2016 in connection with the double homicide.

Calvin Durrell Ford was arrested and charged with two counts of murder, possession of a weapon during the commission of a violent crime, and felon in possession of a firearm.

The victims killed in the shooting were identified as Dameion Alston, 26, and Macquis Burgess, 27, both of Myrtle Beach, according to Tamara Willard, Horry County Chief Deputy Coroner.

At the time of the shooting, police said Ford got into a verbal argument with Burgess when Ford began shooting multiple rounds, hitting both Burgess and Alston.

Ford and Burgess were both on GPS monitoring by the Horry County Sheriff’s Department, according to the police report. Ford and Burgess both have a lengthy criminal history, according to a state arrest record database search.

The police report also stated the GPS monitoring showed Ford was at the location with Burgess at the time of the shooting. It showed Ford fleeing the area immediately after the shooting.

Prior to his arrest in connection with the double homicide, Ford's SLED arrest record shows that he had a criminal history dating back to February 2006.

In 2008, Ford was convicted of unlawful use of or fraudulent application for a license.

In 2009, he was convicted of entering premises after a warning, speeding, and unlawful use of a telephone.

In 2010, Ford was convicted of burglary (violent) second degree.

Ford was sentenced to eight years in prison for the burglary charge; however, he was released in less than six years as he was out of jail at the time of the 2016 double homicide.

According to the Horry County Sheriff's Department website, Ford was released "out to home detention" some time after he was charged with murder on July 25, 2016.

Anyone with further information related to the double homicide investigation is asked to call MBPD at 843-918-1382.


Trending