NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) - Kenya's military says it has rescued "most" of the remaining hostages held by al-Qaida-linked militants in a Nairobi mall after launching a major operation to end a two-day standoff that had already killed 68 people and injured 175.
Military officials also say Kenyan forces have taken control of most of the upscale mall.
The assault began shortly before sundown Sunday about 30 hours after 10 to 15 Islamic extremists stormed the mall Saturday from two sides, throwing grenades and firing on civilians.
Officials have not released the number of hostages rescued or the number that remain. Officials say four Kenyan military personnel were wounded in the operation.
According to a military spokesman, many of the rescued hostages -- mostly adults -- are suffering from dehydration. He also says some of the attackers had "most probably" been killed in the operation.
Somalia's al-Qaida-linked rebel group, al-Shabab, claimed responsibility for the attack that specifically targeted non-Muslims, saying it was in retribution for Kenyan forces' 2011 push into neighboring Somalia.