Horry County is now operating at Operation Condition Level 4.
OPCON 4 is an alert status that means county officials are in contact with South Carolina Emergency Management and the National Weather Service as they monitor the storm.
Horry County Emergency Management Division urges everyone to continue proper precautions such as:
* Remember the usual emergency supplies: a flashlight and batteries, a battery-powered radio, extra non-perishable food and water, extra medicines and baby items, and first-aid supplies.
* Freezing temperatures can burst water pipes in homes that lack heat or proper insulation. Wrap exposed pipes or take other measure to insulate them from the cold.
* Prepare a place indoors for pets. Move farm animals to shelters and have extra feed and water available.
* Residents are encouraged to check on elderly and at-risk neighbors and relatives due to the increased potential for power outages and cold temperatures.
* Use caution when traveling on roads.
* Use caution when walking in parking lots and on sidewalks.
* Check with airlines as flights may be delayed or canceled.