76
      Saturday
      86 / 71
      Sunday
      83 / 71
      Monday
      84 / 72

      Grease fire destroys restaurant cooking shed

      An early morning grease fire destroyed Scott's Barbeque cooking shed on Highway 261 near Hemingway as workers were cooking 14 hogs Wednesday morning.

      Fire officials say it started just after 4:30 a.m.

      The main restaurant was not damaged at all, according to fire officials.

      Scott's Barbeque was featured in the New York Times Dining and Wine section in 2009.

      Fire officials say the restaurant owner says he won't let this fire set them back and they will immediately look for a temporary place to cook barbecue.

      An employee stepped outside of the shed for a minute and when he came back, the pit was flaming, according to Williamsburg County Fire Chief Randy Swinton.He adds workers tried to put it out but couldn't, so they called 911.Swinton says the main restaurant next door to the cooking shed wasn't damaged at all. Williamsburg County Fire responded to the fire. Hemingway Fire provided mutual aid.