Grand Strand Cycling Summit creates support website
Tue, 25 Jun 2013 18:25:59 GMT —
Members of the Waccamaw Trailblazers mountain bike club, the Myrtle Beach Tri Club and Grand Strand Cyclists recently met to discuss opportunities for cooperation and ways to promote cycling in Myrtle Beach.
One of the first cooperative projects is a website, for better sharing of information about cycling related activities in Myrtle Beach, Conway and Murrells Inlet.
Here are features of the new website:
· A Ride Calendar has all the organized community rides in a searchable format. Rides may be searched by location, type (mountain, tri, road) and by group speed (A,B,C and D). The descriptions of the rides are also on the site. Each ride on the calendar has a map for directions to the starting location, a description of the ride, the ride leaders name and contact information, start time, ride length and a weather link. There is also a "Suggest Event" link on the calendar if organizers wish to have a ride or event posted on the calendar. A calendar event may also be downloaded and imported to a Google or Outlook calendar.
· There is a link on the site for current and forecasted weather, wind speed, wind direction, temperature, cloud cover and rain forecasts for ride locations from the calendar.
· The Community page has links to other community sports groups; The Grand Strand Running Club, Myrtle Beach Tri Club and the Waccamaw Trail Blazers.
· Local bike shop information is on the Shop Links page with a brief description of the shop and links for their website and email contact.
· Under the Rides page are Ride Descriptions, Ride Leader and Rider Guidelines.
· For those who are new to cycling there is a New Riders page with Contact Form which will put an experienced local rider in touch with the new rider to help them get started.
· The Blog on the website will have tips about safety, group riding, equipment and any and all things cycling.