73 / 53
      60 / 43
      59 / 42

      Governor Haley asks federal government for help in winter storm

      South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley is requesting a federal declaration of emergency in order to get access to FEMA assets it the wake of this winter storm hitting the state.

      The request is a preemptive measure to support state and county operations.

      Gov. Haley wrote a letter to President Barack Obama on Wednesday requesting help, as a result of the severe winter weather causing emergency situations. In it she said, "Direct federal assistance is needed to meet critical emergency protection requirements that are beyond the capability of the state and affected local governments before arrival of the storm's most deleterious effects."

      Haley declared a state of emergency on Tuesday.

      If the federal request is approved, South Carolina could request commodities such as generators, bottled water, meals ready to eat and support teams.

      If the request is granted, the federal government would cover 75% of the costs acquired in this storm. South Carolina would be responsible for the remaining 25%.