Free ID protection deadline nearing
Thu, 14 Mar 2013 14:51:51 GMT —
The deadline to enroll with Experian's ProtectMyID credit monitoring service is March 31.
The South Carolina Department of Revenue is paying for the service for every South Carolina tax payer for a year because of the security breach that put our information at risk.
Just visit this website and enter the code "SCDOR123" or call 1-866-578-5422.
"We encourage consumers to take advantage of all of the free tools available to mitigate the effects of the DOR breach," said Carrie Grube Lybarker, Administrator of the SC Department of Consumer Affairs, in a press release.
ProtectMyID monitors all three credit bureaus for any changes to your credit file, and offers access to fraud resolution agents beyond the enrollment period.
The ProtectMyID one-year enrollment includes:
· A free copy of your Experian credit report
· Daily monitoring of the three credit bureaus
· Access to a Fraud Resolution Agent should you become a victim of identity theft
· Access to ExtendCARE which provides full access to the same personalized assistance from a highly-trained Fraud Resolution Agent even after the initial ProtectMyID membership expires
· $1 Million Identity Theft Insurance that can help you cover certain costs including, lost wages, private investigator fees, and unauthorized electronic fund transfers
Taxpayers who claim minors as dependents should receive notification from Experian by email or letter with instructions on how to sign up minors for Experian's Family Secure plan. The enrollment deadline for Family Secure is May 31.
For more information on protecting yourself against identity theft, visit the Department of Consumer Affair's website, or call 1-800-922-1594.
Information related to the security breach can be found on DOR's website.