Forestbrook Middle School evacuated for bomb threat: Student charged
Wed, 04 Apr 2012 15:00:00 GMT —
Horry County police charged an 11-year-old student Wednesday, saying the student is responsible for leaving a bomb threat in a bathroom stall at Forestbrook Middle School.
Sgt. Robert Kegler says about 8:20 a.m., the school resource officer notified the police department that the message had been found in a stall in the 6th grade girls bathroom.
He said the message read, "I have a bomb let's blow up the school."
Students were evacuated for a few hours.
They were let back in after bomb-sniffing dogs failed to find anything.
We spoke with several parents who were surprised the school didn't contact them about the evacuation.
Debbie Melton is a grandparent of a FMS student. She said, "I think they should have called. I really do."
Horry County Schools spokesperson Teal Britton says the district does have an automated call system to alert parents, but the system was not activated today. She says their first concern was getting the 700 students out of the building.
The 11-year-old is charged with Conveying False Information Regarding Attempted Use of a Destructive Device.
Because the suspect is a juvenile, family court will have the final say on what penalties could be.
The student was released to a parent.