MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Florence District One releases West Florence High School carbon monoxide testing report

(WPDE file image)

Florence School District One (FSD1) has given us a written copy of results from a test conducted last week on a possible carbon monoxide leak in a biology classroom at West Florence High School, according to the FSD1 Public Information Office Pam Little-McDaniel.

FSD1 tested for carbon monoxide exposure after some parents expressed their concerns on social media about the matter.

The district said last Friday that it "ordered immediate and professional tests of the area in question, as well as all other labs in the school. Florence School District One had the areas tested, received an official report, and the results were clear. In fact, all areas in the building are clear and safely operating."

Since then, several parents have contacted us to dig deeper into this situation.

One parent told us Monday her child was one of those students in the biology class at West Florence High School and has been affected by a carbon monoxide leak.

The parent said her daughter "had symptoms and was seen in the ER and had high level of carbon monoxide in her blood."

We asked the district again Monday about the concerned parents.

FSD1 released the following statement Monday about the parent's concerns:

Florence One took action, moved expediently, and called in Applied Building Sciences to substantiate that the school atmosphere at West Florence High School was safe and free from anything that would cause harm to students and staff. To further supply confidence in regards to the safety at the school, units in the science labs have been turned off since Wednesday, and carbon monoxide detectors are on order and will be installed as soon as they arrive.

The report shows that the CO levels did not exceed 4 parts per million.

According to the Consumer Safety Product Commission, "most people will not experience any symptoms from prolonged exposure to CO levels of approximately 1 to 70 ppm but some heart patients might experience an increase in chest pain."

The school's science labs have been closed temporarily until the detectors can be installed, according to the district.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending