Firefighters closed down 100 to 150 feet of the beach near Water Pointe One condos in the 4700 block of South Ocean Boulevard because of a hazardous material situation, said North Myrtle Beach Fire Battalion Chief Todd Davis.
Someone improperly mixed together two pool chemicals, muriatic acid and chlorine.
There was about five gallons of the mixture in drum in the pool area, Davis said.
Because of an inhalation risk, firefighters closed part of the beach. North Myrtle Beach firefighters had to wait for the Horry County HAZMAT team to arrive. They have the proper suits to wear in this type of situation.
The HAZMAT team capped the drum and removed it.
The beach is open again.
No one was hurt.