A machine caught fire at AVM Industries on Highway 76 in Mullins, Tuesday night.
Mullins Fire Chief Robert Stetson says there was so much smoke in the building that company officials were forced to send second shift workers home.
Stetson says company officials were contemplating asking its third shift employees to not report to work.
A machine malfunctioned causing its springs to release oil onto to a burner and it caught fire, Stetson said.
Employees used four fire extinguishers to put out the fire.
Stetson says his firefighters evacuated the building when they arrived on scene.
It took four hours for ventilation fans to clear the building of smoke.
We're told the plant is back up and running Wednesday morning.