62 / 50
      69 / 55
      70 / 52

      Fire causes minor damage at Pee Dee church

      A fire at the fellowship hall of Macedonia Baptist Church on Salem Road in Marlboro County is under control, according to Blenheim Volunteer Fire Chief David Rogers.

      A passerby saw smoke coming from the building just after 8 o'clock Wednesday morning and called 911.

      The fellowship hall is adjoined to the church.

      Fire officials determined it was an electrical problem that caused the fire.

      "The church is going to have to rewire that section of the building. It could have been a lot worse had it happened in the middle of the night, nobody riding by," said Chief Rogers.

      It took crews two hours to get the fire contained and under control.

      The church's pastor, Rev. Harold Livingston, says they're so thankful to the passerby who called in the fire.

      "We know that that passerby had to be an angel from God because that's the covering that we pray for. And whoever that passerby was or whoever that angel was we thank them," said Livingston.

      Livingston adds that services will not be held at the church Sunday, but instead at the Berea Convention Center on Highway 38 in Bennettsville.

      Livingston said, "Those are our plans now. We are prayerful by that time, we can have the building inspected. And can turn the power back to the facility so that we can have it comfortable and clean for our parishoners."

      A fire destroyed the church in the 1970's and it had to be rebuilt.

      Clio Rural and Bennettsville City Fire Departments provided mutual aid in this fire.