Fire burns Chinese restaurant

South Kings Highway is closed in front of the Ho Wah Restaurant Wednesday morning.

The Ho Wah restaurant at 409 South Kings Highway in Myrtle Beach caught fire just before 5 a.m. Wednesday.

The fire started in the back of the restaurant in the kitchen.

The thermostat on the gas hot water heaters malfunctioned and caused the fire, according to Bruce Arnel, with Myrtle Beach Fire Department.

Most of the damage was confined to the kitchen, but there was some smoke and water damage to the dining room, said Arnel.