71
      Monday
      81 / 72
      Tuesday
      86 / 73
      Wednesday
      88 / 73

      Fan causes fire that destroys apartment

      Horry County Fire Rescue Assistant Chief Justin Gibbins says a portable box fan that malfunctioned caused the fire that destroyed a third floor apartment.

      Firefighters were called to the home on Andover Drive in the Southbridge community around 5:30 a.m. Wednesday. That's off Glenns Bay Road near Surfside Beach.

      The fire was contained to one apartment.

      Yancey said the family living in the home was displaced. No one was hurt.

      The Myrtle Beach Fire Department and Surfside Beach Fire Department provided mutual aid.