75 / 57
      72 / 59
      73 / 59

      Cause of IGA fire in Marion may never be known

      The cause of the fire that destroyed the IGA grocery store in Marion Tuesday morning may remain undetermined because of the extent of the fire damage, according to City Administrator Alan Ammons.

      It is believed the fire was accident though, Ammons said.

      The store on South Main Street caught fire around 3:30 Wednesday morning.

      It took crews more than three hours to get the fire under control and contained.

      "With that much fire loaded and you got the contents on fire, it's real hard to control a fire like that," said Captain Jackie Yates, Marion City Fire.

      Crews tore down the front of the building, after the center of the building collapsed.

      The store had been there for more than 50 years, according to an employee.

      Many residents told us the store really served the community and helped people without adequate transportation be able to walk to get their groceries.