Attorney John Hilliard, who represents 17 of the people charged in connection with Operation Red Harvest in 2012, says 107 of the charges against them have been dismissed.
Operation Red Harvest was an 18-month investigation into what Horry County police called illegal activity by the Hells Angels Motorcycle Club.
"There was never any credible evidence against any of my clients, a fact that I have repeatedly pointed out to the prosecution since the time of the original arrests," defense attorney John M. Hilliard of Georgetown said in a news release Friday afternoon.
Hilliard says his clients have faced financial hardship following their arrests.
"It has taken a lot of time, energy and resources to defend against what have proven to be baseless charges. That was all time, energy and resources that my clients would otherwise have used to pay family bills," Hilliard said. "This has all been a real financial hardship on everyone who was arrested in this police sweep. My clients were required to pay for surety bonds in excess of $1,000,000.00 in this case," he said.
Members of the club are now deciding whether to pursue civil action, according to Hilliard's release, including removal of their names and that of the Myrtle Beach Chapter of Hells Angels from the criminal gang registry.
15th Circuit Solicitor Jimmy Richardson confirmed that charges against Hilliard's clients had been dismissed but said other charges related to Operation Red Harvest are still pending. According to data provided by the solicitors' office charges are still pending against 10 people.
To see the list of people with outstanding charges as of 8/18/14 related to Operation Red Harvest, click here.
To see Hilliard's news release, click here.
To see a copy of a letter verifying dismissal of the charges, click here.