76
      Friday
      90 / 72
      Saturday
      86 / 71
      Sunday
      83 / 71

      Attackers remain in Kenya mall after killing 59

      NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) - Fresh troops have been brought in and multiple barrages of gunfire erupted today at the upscale Kenyan mall where there is a hostage standoff with Islamic extremist attackers.

      Officials today raised the death toll to 59 with 175 wounded and say the operation is delicate because of the hostages. Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph Lenku says about 1,000 people have been rescued so far and Kenyan forces control of security cameras inside the Nairobi mall.

      Somalia's radical rebel group, Al-Shabab, claims responsibility for the attack as retribution for the presence of Kenyan troops in Somalia.

      Al-Shabab says there will be no negotiations.

      Kenyans and foreigners were among those confirmed dead, including two French and two Canadian citizens. Four American citizens were wounded.