American Red Cross launches app to get and give help
Thu, 18 Jul 2013 19:17:22 GMT —
The American Red Cross launched the Team Red Cross App, which allows people to sign up to help, get an overview on basic tasks, and receive notifications about Red Cross disaster volunteer opportunities in their community.
"When people see an emergency happening in their community, they often want to help but may not know how," said Nanci Conley, executive director, American Red Cross Coastal South Carolina Chapter, in a press release. "The Team Red Cross App provides an easy and quick way for people to sign up to help the Red Cross and support their community."
Once users download the app, they create an account. Then they learn about different jobs, such as working in a warehouse, handing out supplies or assisting with feeding. When the Red Cross has a need for volunteers, the Team Red Cross App will notify users based on their location.
Potential volunteers can instantly accept or decline the volunteer opportunity.
The Red Cross is encouraging the public to download the app before a disaster strikes in South Carolina so volunteers can help immediately.
The app is free and designed for iPhone and Android smart phones and tablets. Additional features include:
· A quick orientation right on the mobile device.
· Ability for people to share notifications for volunteers with their social network.
· Earn digital "badges" by completing a job test, accepting a job, sharing the app, recruiting volunteers, etc. The "badges" can then be shared with their social network.
· Allows people to donate money to the Red Cross and sign up to donate blood.
· Offers emergency response information that people can share with their friends at the touch of a button.