An 82-year-old woman has died in a fire at her home on Turner Road in the Nesmith community of Hemingway, Tuesday afternoon.
She was cooking, and the pot caught fire on the stove, according to Williamsburg County Fire Chief Randy Swinton.
She grabbed the pot to take it to the sink and fell, Swinton says.
He says she was consumed by the fire and burned to death.
Her son came home and found her body, according to Swinton.
He says the fire was still slightly burning and the son managed to put it out. The fire was contained to the kitchen area of the home.
Williamsburg County Coroner plans to release the woman's name when her immediate family is notified.
An autopsy is being performed on her body to confirm the cause of death.