Fate of ousted primary candidates still uncertain
Wed, 09 May 2012 22:50:05 GMT —
South Carolina lawmakers continue to work on a fix to a foul-up that left nearly 200 candidates off the state's primary ballot. Last week, the state Supreme Court ruled those candidates didn't file the required Statements of Economic Interest
Tuesday's floor debate centered around a Senate measure that would re-certify those candidates.
Senators debated whether those candidates should be allowed on the ballot if they filed the right paperwork by March 30th, or whether it would be fairer to extend that deadline and certify anyone who filed by April 20th.
Some senators argued they were hurting their own re-election efforts by supporting a measure to allow primary opponents on the ballot, but that would still be the only fair thing to do.
Others said the law is the law, and the candidates thrown off the ballot didn't follow the right procedure, so they shouldn't be certified. Some said they didn't believe the legislature could overrule the authority of the state Supreme Court.
The ballot bill was tabled after debate Tuesday, leaving the fate of the 180 disqualified candidates uncertain for another day.
There's also a federal lawsuit filed by Amanda Somers a candidate from Greer whose name will remain on the ballot.
Her lawyer says the June 12 primary should be delayed, since some ballots have already been sent out to overseas voters and members of the military.
Most lawmakers are trying to avoid delaying the primary. A hearing on the suit will be held Wednesday in Columbia.