Enter a member of our community to win a Jefferson Award
Enter a member of our community to win the country’s most prestigious and longest standing public service award -- the Jefferson Award
Each month ABC15 will award one of these prestigious honors to a person in our community who is making a positive impact and feature them in a news segment.
One of those nominees will be chosen to win a trip for two to Washington, D.C. to represent the Grand Strand and Pee Dee at the Jefferson Awards National Ceremony in June of 2018.
WPDE ABC15/ JEFFERSON AWARDS
OFFICIAL CONTEST RULES
Contest: Jefferson Awards
Station: Sinclair Communications, LLC dba WPDE (ABC15)
Station Address: 10 University Blvd. Conway, South Carolina 29526
Contest Area: Horry County, Georgetown County, Marion County, Dillon County, Florence County, Darlington County, Marlboro County, Scotland County, Robeson County
Sponsors: Elliott Realty
Prize Provider: Jefferson Awards Foundation
Age of Eligibility:
- Entrants must be age eighteen (18) or older.
- Nominees must be age fourteen (14) and older.
Contest Period: October 1, 2016 to January 31, 2018
Entries Due: 10:00PM ET on September 30, 2016; October 31, 2016; November 30, 2016; December 31, 2016; January 31, 2017; February 28, 2017; March 31, 2017; April 30, 2017; May 31, 2017; June 30, 2017; July 31, 2017; August 31, 2017; September 30, 2017; October 31, 2017; November 30, 2017; December 31, 2017; January 31, 2018
Entry nominations are unlimited; however, an entrant may not nominate the same nominee more than once.
A nominee may be nominated by multiple entrants.
Remaining valid entry nominations will carry over to the next Local Monthly Winner Determination Date.
Nomination Topic: Community Service: Describe how the nominee has positively impacted the community through personal service. Entrants cannot nominate themselves, immediate family members (i.e., spouses, grandparents, parents, siblings, children and grandchildren), any person living with entrant or any organization.
Judging Criteria: Compelling nature of story of nominee’s community service (100%)
Total Number of Winners: Seventeen (17) local Monthly Winners and one (1) Grand Prize local winner chosen from among all local winners
Local Monthly Winner Determination Dates: October 1, 2016; November 1, 2016; December 1, 2016; January 1, 2017; February 1, 2017; March 1, 2017; April 1, 2017; May 1, 2017; June 1, 2017; July 1, 2017; August 1, 2017; September 1, 2017; October 1, 2017; November 1, 2017; December 1, 2017; January 1, 2018; February 1, 2018
Grand Prize Winner Determination Date: March 1, 2018
Prizes and Values:
- Monthly Winners: Seventeen (17) local winners will each receive one (1) Jefferson Awards Foundation medallion valued at $100.00. Each winner must sign an appearance release and may appear on a segment regarding his or her outstanding personal acts or positive impact on the community and the nomination. Whether or not the segment actually airs as well as the date, time, nature and extent of the segment remains at the sole and absolute discretion of the Station. Due to its nature, the value of such on-air appearance cannot be determined.
- Grand Prize Winner: One (1) Grand Prize Winner will receive a trip for two (2) to Washington, DC to represent the Grand Strand and Pee Dee regions of South Carolina at the Jefferson Awards National Ceremony in June 2018. Travel arrangements including two (2) nights of hotel accommodations (one room, double occupancy), transportation, meals, and roundtrip airline (economy class) will be provided by The Jefferson Awards Foundation and will contact winner directly. Grand prize winner must abide by all rules and regulations set forth by The Jefferson Award Foundation. Grand Prize Winner will be notified of the actual value of the trip.
Station’s Website: WPDE.com
Station’s Website Terms and Conditions: http://wpde.com/station/terms
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. This contest is subject to all applicable laws and regulations and is void where prohibited.
All capitalized terms shall have the meanings set forth above.
How to Enter
To enter, log on to the Station’s Website, and click on the Contest section to access the Contest entry page. Complete the online entry form with your name, address, phone number, birth date, name of nominee, address of nominee, describe why the nominee submitted for the Nomination Topic should win, and click submit. By entering, entrants agree that the nominee, not the entrant, is eligible to win the prize. No mechanically reproduced or completed entries will be accepted.
Judging of Entries/How to Win
1. Each entry will be judged and scored by a panel of judges comprised of Station personnel based on the Judging Criteria for the Nomination Topic.
2. On each Local Monthly Winner Determination Date, the judges will determine one (1) Winner with the highest score based on the criteria set forth above. As a condition of winning, each winning nominee must sign an appearance release and may appear on a segment regarding his or her outstanding personal acts or positive impact on the community and the nomination.
3. Remaining valid entries/nominations will carry over to the next Local Monthly Winner Determination Date. Station reserves the right to reduce the number of monthly winners or to cancel this contest in the event that insufficient entries are received for judging.
4. On the Grand Prize Winner Determination Date, the judges will determine one (1) Winner with the highest score among all local monthly winners based on the criteria set forth above.
1. To be eligible to participate in the Contest, entrants must be U.S. residents who are at least the Age of Eligibility, and reside in the Contest Area. Nominees must be U.S. residents who are at least the Age of Eligibility, reside in the Contest Area, and meet the criteria of the Nomination Topic.
2. Employees of Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc., Sinclair Television Group, Inc., Station (collectively, the “Company”), Sponsor(s), Prize Provider(s), contest software providers, social media platforms, each of their affiliated companies, advertising and promotion agencies, any and all local television broadcast and cable stations, local radio and other media companies, and the immediate family members of each are ineligible. The term “immediate family” includes spouses, domestic partners, grandparents, parents, siblings, children, grandchildren, and any other relatives who reside in the same household with employee. Only one winner per household.
Contest Terms and Conditions
1. Station is not responsible for lost, late, garbled, or misdirected entries, printing errors, server unavailability, computer or any other electronic malfunction. All entries received that are duplicate, mutilated, tampered with, incorrect, illegible, or from ineligible entrants will be void. All entries become the property of the Company and will not be acknowledged or returned.
2. Station cannot be held liable for any lost or stolen entries, prizes or contest information. Station is not responsible for any technological malfunction, or human error relating to the Contest.
3. Prizes are provided “as is” without any express or implied warranty of any kind including warranties of merchantability, non-infringement or intellectual property, or fitness for any particular purpose. Prizes are subject to the Sponsor(s) and/or Prize Provider(s) standard terms and conditions, and expiration dates. For any ticket related prize, Station, Sponsor(s) and Prize Provider(s) are not responsible if any event or performance is cancelled or postponed. Any trip related prizes are subject to advance reservation, availability and black-out dates, and do not include any meals, other transportation, gratuities, travel insurance, baggage fees, miscellaneous airline fees, excursions, spa treatments, or any other expenses. The Station, Sponsor(s) and Prize Provider(s) are not responsible for winner’s failure to take the trip by the Prize Provider’s expiration date, or cancellation of the trip by the winner.
4. Each winner will be notified by email or phone. Before claiming any prize, each winner must provide his/her correct name, address and telephone number to Station at the time of notification. Each winner must sign and return a release and affidavit of eligibility, which must be received within three (3) days of notification (or less due to prize use time constraints), at the time winner claims his/her prize in person at the Station. Each winner must show picture identification to claim his/her prize. Station reserves the right to examine additional identification and may choose to accept or deny awarding any prize based on the identification presented. If the prize is a trip, all persons traveling on the trip must be 18 years of age or over, unless travelers under 18 are accompanied by at least one adult who is the parent or legal guardian of all of the minors. All persons traveling on the trip must also sign and return a release which must be returned with the winner’s release and affidavit of eligibility within three (3) days of winner’s notification.
5. If a winner cannot be notified within two (2) days, or does not timely sign and return the release and affidavit of eligibility, then the prize will be forfeited, and time permitting, the prize will be awarded to an alternate winner with the next highest score, as determined by the judges in their sole and absolute discretion. If time does not permit for an alternate winner to be determined, then the prize will be forfeited, and the prize will remain the property of the Station.
6. There will be no substitutions or cash alternatives for any prize except at the sole discretion of Station. The Station has the right to substitute a prize of similar value. No sale, transfer or assignment of any prize is allowed.
7. Each winner is responsible for paying all local, county, state and federal taxes on prizes based on the estimated retail value of the prizes as set forth in these rules. Each winner must sign a W-9 form.
8. A Monthly Winner is eligible to be the Grand Prize Winner. Entrants (and Nominees) are eligible to win only one contest within any ninety (90) day period, regardless of the number of contests entered.
9. The Company is not liable if the provider of any part of a prize fails to satisfy its obligations to furnish its portion of the prize.
10. The Company, Sponsor(s), and Prize Provider(s) accept no responsibility or liability in connection with any injuries, losses or damages of any kind directly or indirectly caused by or resulting from the acceptance, possession or use of any prize awarded in the Contest. By entering, entrants (and by accepting winner status, nominees) agree to release the Company, Sponsor(s), Prize Provider(s), contest software providers, social media platforms, and each of their respective parent, affiliates, officers, directors, employees and agents, from any and all claims, loss, damage or injury as a result of or incident to his/her participation in the Contest or his/her use of the prize. Entrants (and nominee winners) further acknowledge and agree that if a winner, the Company has the right to publicize entrant’s (or nominee’s) name, character, likeness, photograph, voice and the fact that you are a winner of the Contest for promotional purposes, without financial remuneration.
11. Complete Official Rules for the Contest are available Monday through Friday during normal business hours at the Station and on the Station’s Website. For a list of prize winners, send a separate, self-addressed, stamped envelope to the Station at the Station Address within thirty (30) days of the last day of the Contest Period.
12. The Station has the right to disqualify any entrant it determines has not complied with the Contest Rules. All decisions by the Station shall be final and binding relating to this contest, including the interpretation of the Contest Rules. Station reserves the right to make rules and contest changes and change the contest dates. Station reserves the right to cancel/terminate, modify or suspend the Contest if in Station’s sole determination it believes that the integrity of the Contest has been, or could be, compromised or that the Contest is not capable of running as planned or fairly, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or force majeure or any other causes beyond the Station’s control.