75
      Friday
      89 / 73
      Saturday
      84 / 71
      Sunday
      83 / 71

      Citadel plans outside look into sex abuse claims

      CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) - The Citadel plans an independent investigation into how it handled a sex abuse complaint against a former summer camp counselor who went on to molest several children in the Lowcountry.

      Citadel President John Rosa told The Post and Courier of Charleston that the military school has always planned an outside review of how it handled allegations made in 2007 against Louis "Skip" ReVille.

      ReVille pleaded guilty in June to nearly two dozen child sex charges and was sentenced to 50 years in prison.

      ReVille was a counselor at a Citadel summer camp in 2007 when a former camper told school officials he was molested by ReVille five years earlier. The Citadel conducted an internal investigation, but never told police about the allegations. ReVille was arrested last year.

      (Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)