Suspect in Socastee High shooting could be tried as adult
Wed, 22 Sep 2010 22:12:31 GMT —
The 14-year-old who police say shot at a school resource officer Tuesday at Socastee High School, could face an attempted murder charge.
The Solicitor's office will ask the court to try the juvenile as an adult.
The school's principal says it appears this student had been thinking about and planning this incident for a long time and if he is found guilty of the charges that may be filed against him, he could end up in prison for a long time.Read more Suspicious devices found Police search suspect's home Tense moment for parents Twitter account probed after Tuesday's school shooting Metal detectors used at Socastee HS following school shooting
The student shooting suspect is expected in court Friday
The potential charges facing the 14-year-old accused in the Socastee shooting, could put him in prison for the rest of his life.
The charges start with attempted murder and possession of bomb making materials and there's a potential third charge, according to Horry County Deputy Solicitor Jimmy Richardson. "Use of a bomb as a terroristic threat, that sort of thing. and that carries from 25 to life, so there's some pretty serious charges out there."
At a waiver hearing expected to take place Friday, the solicitor's office will ask a judge to move the 14-year-old to adult court, based on several factors. "His age, the seriousness of the charges that are leveled against him and there would also be some psychological reports, probably,competency type things," said Richardson.
The school's principal, Dr. Paul Browning, says the student's prior record gave no indication that he was capable of violence. "Our administrators did not know him and for an early arriving 9th grader, that's probably a good thing."
Browning says it appears, based on entries on the juvenile's Twitter page, that he had a well-thought out plan and there's no evidence that any other students were involved. But there are indications other students knew about the boy's intentions and did not come forward. And that's a major concern for the principal, who says he hopes the incident serves as a life lesson for other students. "I'm hoping they will understand their lack of action may have changed someone's life."
The deputy solicitor says there could have been 6 or 700 hundred attempted murder charges against the young man because of all the students in the building, but prosecutors are focused on the school resource officer, who suffered only minor shrapnel wounds in the shooting.