Scott Firefighter Combat Challenge returns to Myrtle Beach
Thu, 19 May 2011 15:06:33 GMT —
Horry County Fire Rescue says Myrtle Beach will host the "Scott Firefighter Combat Challenge World Challenge" again this November.
The Challenge will be held November 14 - November 19 at Broadway at the Beach.
ESPN once called the event the "toughest two minutes in sports."
The event is expected to attract about 1,500 firefighters and more than 4,000 of their family and friends from about 25 municipalities of all sizes throughout the United States, Canada and other countries like New Zealand, Germany, Argentina, Chile and South Africa.
In a news release Thursday, Dr. Paul Davis, president and Challenge Founder said, "We are very excited to be coming back to Myrtle Beach for the World Challenge. This Scott Firefighter Combat Challenge not only represents the physical demands that firefighters face on a daily basis, but also encourages a healthier lifestyle, thus increasing quality of life for these everyday heroes. The competitors that will attend are some of the toughest in the world."
"Having the Scott World Firefighter Combat Challenge come to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, for the first time was tremendously exciting, so you can imagine how thrilled we are to have them return in 2011," said Brad Dean, President and CEO of the Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce, "We had a huge crowd of spectators come out last year and look forward to hosting these talented individuals and their families and friends this year as well."
During the challenge, firefighters compete in a number of events in full turnout gear.
For more information on the challenge, to register or become a sponsor, contact (301) 421-4433.