SC coroner: synthetic pot killed college athlete
Sun, 16 Oct 2011 18:32:05 GMT —
ANDERSON, S.C. (AP) - A coroner says an Anderson University basketball player died after ingesting a chemical used in synthetic marijuana.
Anderson County Coroner Greg Shore said 19-year-old Lamar Jack's collapse during a preseason workout and death days later was caused by acute drug toxicity that led to multiple organ failure.
T he coroner said Jack had complained of cramps and vision problems before collapsing. The athlete had an extremely high body temperature when he was rushed to an emergency room.
Lab testing revealed that Jack's body had the chemical JWH-018, which is used to make fake pot. Synthetic marijuana is sold as blends of exotic herbs and plant materials, but they are also sprayed or coated with other chemicals that produce a euphoric feeling when they are ingested or smoked.
(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)