64 / 53
      67 / 63
      69 / 50

      Burnt food blamed in Pee Dee duplex fire

      Florence firefighters were called to a kitchen fire in the 900 block of Ingram Street around 1:00 Sunday afternoon.

      The first units found that everyone managed to get out of the building thanks to a smoke alarm.

      Firefighters encountered heavy smoke and flames in the back of the home. Crews searched the duplex for anyone who may have been trapped. The fire was brought under control in about thirty 30 minutes.

      One woman was taken to the hospital for an injury, but no other details were released.

      The fire started in the kitchen and may have been caused by unattended cooking.

      The Florence Fire Department responded with three Engine Companies, one Ladder Company, two Command Staff vehicles and one other staff vehicle.

      The Florence Police department and Florence County EMS were also on scene assisting. The fire left the home unlivable

      The Florence Fire Department wants to remind everyone about the importance of having working smoke alarms at home and to check the batteries every month.

      You should replace the batteries in your smoke alarms twice a year.